Monday, March 12, 2012

Geometry... well this is Different

For the first time since my student teaching, I will be teaching geometry.  Now I am very knowledgeable about geometry, I understand the subject, and I am very competent when it comes to working with geometric principles; however, I do not enjoy geometry.  I am a strong believer in the principle that if you do not enjoy a topic, then you will not be as good of a teacher of that subject.  That being said, I do not have a choice, I will be teaching geometry because one of my colleagues will no longer be with the school.

So now I need to get back into the mindset of geometry.  For me, this means spending time this summer focusing on planning my geometry course.  I say my geometry course because, as I have stated before, I do not teach kids to the test, I teach the kids mathematics.  Yes, I will cover all of the topics and standards covered in state standards, but I will cover it my way.

I believe I will start the year off with constructions.  If the students can construct any geometric object, I think this will give them a better understanding of the information covered in the course.  This would mean a lot of up front work and a hard road as far as pacing is concerned, but if they can build the situation, then they can work with the situation more affectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment